Friday, July 13, 2012

My House is Crooked and What It Taught Me

If you've been following along, you've seen a few peeks of my remodeling projects. 

Well long story short, while working on these projects, we realized the house was crooked. Like who built this thing and how has it lasted 105 years crooked. Nothing was lining up how it should, and we were left with more than a few spots that had us wondering how to hide the imperfection

Now of course, I am generally an "as long as your happy" person- pretty easy going, and an overall optimist. 
Secretly, though, I'm a closet perfectionist. 
All these "mistakes" were driving me crazy. 

My co-projectors got me to thinking. These weren't mistakes I had made. The house is crooked and I haven't been working out near enough to pick it up and set it straight. 

I was going to have to deal with it. 

So does hiding a "mistake" make it go away? Or can we learn to live with imperfection, and maybe even enjoy the stories behind them. 

Two years ago, we mistakenly "ruined" another room in our home. It was never fixed, and to this day there is a patch in the tile that is glaringly a different color than the rest of the floor. Each time in walk into this room, I can't help but laugh remembering the good times we had making that "mistake". 

Had I not been so worried about perfection, I just may have found myself enjoying the journey to almost perfect- or at least to "better than it was". 

So what exactly did my crooked house teach me?
Just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean it isn't good. You have only made a mistake if you have failed to enjoy the journey, left your little piece of the world in worse condition than before your touch, or learned nothing from what life throws at you.


*Because I have no pretty pictures pertaining to this story, you get to see a glimpse of my summer*
The trunk of my car: Beer, fireworks, ammunition, gas for the boats, a tent, and some camping essentials.

What is your favorite imperfection?
Have you started/completed your summer bucket list?

1 comment:

  1. such a lovely post, definitely a good reminder that nothing is perfect! :) x

    ReplyDelete