Friday, January 13, 2012

How to Pass a Class

With the first week of the new semester competed at my university, I figured I would start of with this. 

A little game plan on how to you pass your classes. 
This advice isn't foolproof, but it's easier than you think. 

First of all:
Realize you may fail a class once or twice. College is hard. Life can get in the way. Things happen. 

That being said, there are a couple things you can do to make passing your classes much more likely. 

Before Classes/Your First Day:
-Get organized. 
While I've never been a particularly organized person, I have learned that being able to find a pen and a piece of paper for the first day of class helps. 

-Bring a pen and a piece of paper.
Your professor may make changes or share important information on the first day. Some may even lecture. It helps to have something to take notes. 
(this semester I had one professor change the time of our lecture, and one share the dates of our first five "pop quizzes")

-Show up. 
I know plenty of students who assume the first week a professor will read the syllabus and dismiss class. While this is true for some, not all. Sometimes the first day is important. Don't take the chance.

The Rest of the Semester:
-Once again- 
-
SHOW UP. 
This is the best advice I have been given. It seems so simple, but many students don't figure it out until it's too late.
Before I left my parents home for college, my dad pulled me aside and asked if I wanted to do well in school. 
I told him not really. 
Apparently he was going to advise me anyways, as he went on to say,
Go to class. It's as easy as that. If you go to class you'll do well. 
Yeah, ok, dad. 
But really; it's true. 
I've tested it. 
Personally. 
Feel free to test it out yourself. I promise you'll agree. 

-Know when your exams are.
Ok, you would think this would be just as obvious as showing up, but it's not. 
Professors move exams, weather cancels classes (hopefully), you write things down on the wrong page of your planner. Does double checking really take that long?

-Get to know your professors.
Yes, even in lectures. 
Introduce yourself, go to office hours (your professors designated time to provide extra help)- even if you don't have a question. Ask to go over your last exam, make up a question, or stop in just to say hi.
If your professor knows you, he/she will look more favorably on your grade. When the end of the semester comes and your grade is a couple percent away from passing this can make all the difference. 

There are probably other things I could say:
Do the homework
Do any extra credit
Study for exams
Don't throw things at your professor while he/she is lecturing

These may help, but the points above, while they may be painfully obvious, are surprisingly some of the most overlooked tips of all. 

Good luck with classes! 
and please share any additional tips or tricks


No comments:

Post a Comment