Sunday, November 27, 2011

Time to Get Moving

Good Afternoon Lovelies! 

In an effort to avoid the long "to do" list i've complied due to the up and coming end of semester, I've been browsing some of my favorite blogs. 

Doing so, I read a post by a lovely health and fitness blogger, who writes Rachel's Fit Health. In her guest writer's post, she asks for her followers to volunteer something that has helped them personally, and could benefit others. 

I've always been a pretty active person. I participate in a whole host of outdoor activities, but have always had trouble sticking to a daily exercise plan. I've always had some sort of motivation, but recently, I've recognized two somewhat short term motivating factors. 

1. A trip to florida and the bahamas with my boyfriend and his family for Christmas.

2. A skiing trip with my family in early march. 


Ok, So #1 is quite obvious. Even in the winter, my trips to the bahamas involve bathing suits. Everyone would love to look great in a bikini right?

#2 on the other hand, is a whole different story. My dad is an adaptive skier, meaning he ski's on a monoski due to a physical disability. 
A monoski is basically a chair that has a ski on the bottom. The skier has two small skis on the end of their poles, called "outriggers". 

Here's my motivation:
I've been skiing almost all my life. I'd like to think I'm pretty decent at it. My dad has been a monoskiier for just about six years. (but was a pretty avid downhill skier before is accident).
He can kick my butt. 
He's  ruthless. Races. Technique. Endurance. 
Ok, so sometimes he cheats... but still. It's just not right. 
So here it is...
My goal:
Improve strength and endurance and [hopefully] have a shot at holding my own on the hills. 
I know that's in no way specific, or any sort of plan, but it's a start. 
...This morning's run couldn't hurt either.

What is your motivation for eating right and exercising?
For more information on adaptive skiing and a little motivation-
or to volunteer with Michigan Adaptive Sports


No comments:

Post a Comment